Ukraine. The Russian Ministry of Defense about the “retaliatory action” in Kramatorsk, Kyiv denies
The Russian Defense Ministry said on Sunday it had launched a “revenge operation” in response to an attack by Ukrainian forces in occupied Makiivka. The ministry in Moscow reported that 600 Ukrainian soldiers were killed as a result of the shelling of Kramatorsk. Representatives of the Ukrainian army claim that these reports are untrue. Reuters journalists reported from the scene that the Russian rocket strikes did not destroy the buildings, and there were no signs of casualties.
Ministry of Defense Russia informed in a Sunday message posted on the Telegram website that over the last 24 hours “points of temporary deployment of Ukrainian military personnel in Kramatorsk have been revealed”. According to the ministry, over 700 Ukrainian soldiers were staying in the building of student dormitory number 28 and over 600 – in dormitory number 47. “As a result of a massive rocket attack on these points, more than 600 soldiers were killed,” the ministry announced, adding that it was a “revenge operation in response to the attack of Ukrainian forces in Makievka.
The Ukrainians attacked the Russian barracks in the occupied Makiivka in the Donetsk region on the night of December 31-January 1. Strategic Communications Center of the Armed Forces Ukraine it reported at the time that 400 reservists had been killed in the attack.
Ukrainians claim that Sunday’s statement by the Russian Ministry of Defense is not true. – These reports are as true as the information that they (the Russians – ed.) destroyed all the (American) HIMARS systems in Ukraine. This is an information operation of the Russian Ministry of Defense in response to the successful actions of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, which launched attacks on large concentrations of Russian troops, their warehouses and logistics using high-precision systems. (The Russians) do not have such systems, said Serhiy Cherevaty, spokesman for the Eastern Group of Forces of the Ukrainian army.
No “traces of bodies and blood”
The Reuters agency reported that its journalists visited the places indicated by the Russians in Kramatorsk. “None of these buildings appear to have been directly hit by shells or seriously damaged. There were also no clear indications that soldiers lived there, nor were there any traces of bodies or blood,” Reuters reported in a Sunday cable.
The agency reported that several windows were broken in dormitory number 47, near which a large crater was formed. In turn, there was no damage in dormitory number 28. The sinkhole was about 50 meters away, closer to the garages.
Earlier on Sunday, the head of the Donetsk region, Pavlo Kyrylenko, said that the Russians attacked Kramatorsk on Saturday night. As a result of the shelling, he said, two buildings of an educational institution and an industrial plant were destroyed. The mayor of Kramatorsk, Oleksandr Honcharenko, who provided similar data, added that there were no casualties.
Reuters, RBK-Ukraine, tvn24.pl
Main photo source: Reuters
#Ukraine #Russian #Ministry #Defense #retaliatory #action #Kramatorsk #Kyiv #denies