The President of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelensky, signed a decree in which he cancels the planned autumn conscription, the Interfax-Ukraine agency reported, citing a document published on the head of state’s website.
According to the decree signed by the Ukrainian president, autumn conscription will not take place. Volodymyr Zelensky at the same time decided that the transfer of military personnel to the reserve would be postponed for a period “not earlier than after demobilization is announced in the established order”.
The Ukrainian ZN portal pointed out that the authorities Ukraine informed earlier that they did not plan to announce additional conscription to the army in connection with the “partial mobilization” in Russia. President’s advisor Mykhailo Podolak said that Ukraine already had adequate reserves of armed forces.
Partial mobilization, illegal annexation
Last week, the head of the Russian defense ministry said that it was part of the Vladimir Putin announced “partial mobilization” About 300,000 reservists are to be drafted into the army. The Russian independent portal Meduza later reported that the Kremlin’s plans were even more ambitious and envisaged the enlisting of over a million additional soldiers.
Vladimir Putin announced on Friday in a propaganda speech the decision to include the Donetsk, Luhansk, Kherson and Zaporizhia oblasts in Russia. This decision is a breach of international law.
Also on Friday The UN Security Council rejected the draft resolution condemning Russia for her attempt to annex Ukrainian territory and calling on her to withdraw troops. Against the project notified by USA and Albania, Russia with a right of veto voted. The four countries that abstained are: China, Brazil, India and Gabon. Ten countries supported the resolution, but it was rejected due to Russia’s veto right.
Main photo source: Metin Aktas / Abaca / PAP