- Since the Russian troops resumed their offensive after an operational break on July 16, they only managed to occupy an area of just over 450 square kilometers.
- However, since March 21, when they controlled the most territory in Ukraine, they lost a total area of about 45 thousand. km sq., thus larger than Denmark
- The operation of the authorities subordinated to Russia in the occupied territories of Ukraine is still hampered by the activity of partisans
- You can follow the information on the defense of Ukraine 24 hours a day on our website LIVE RELATIONS
- More important information can be found on the Onet homepage. If you don’t want to miss any important news – subscribe to our newsletter
The think tank describes Wednesday’s statement by Russia’s Defense Minister Sergei Shoygu, who said that Russian troops deliberately they slow down the pace of the offensiveallegedly out of concern for the lives of civilians. According to the TI, this was probably an attempt to justify the small territorial gains in Ukraine over the past six weeks.
Since the Russian troops resumed their offensive after an operational break on July 16, they only managed to occupy an area of just over 450 square kilometers, which is slightly smaller than the area of Andorra. However, since March 21, when they controlled the most territory in Ukraine, they lost a total area of about 45 thousand. km sq., thus larger than Denmark.
“As the Institute of Military Affairs has previously assessed, Russian forces are unable to translate limited tactical gains into wider operational successes, and their offensive operations in eastern Ukraine are culminating. Shoigu’s statement is probably an attempt to explain these failures,” the report reads.
In his speech at the meeting of defense ministers of the states belonging to the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO), Shoygu stressed that Russia’s broad-based goals in the war with Ukraine have not changed, emphasizes the TI, recalling that the Russian ministry had previously issued similar statements justifying the slow progress of the invasion.
At the front, Russian forces carried out limited land attacks in the vicinity of Izium in the Kharkiv region, near Bakhmut and Donetsk in the Donetsk region, as well as in the northwestern part of the Kherson region. Ukrainian forces continued to attack Russian military facilities and land communication lines in the Kherson and Zaporizhia oblasts.
The operation of the authorities subordinated to Russia in the occupied territories of Ukraine is still hindered by partisan activity. The occupiers, however, continue their efforts towards the legislative and administrative integration of these areas with Russia, added the ISW report.
Thank you for being with us. Subscribe to the Onet newsletter to receive the most valuable content from us.
Date Created: Today, 07:28