Pope Francis announced the list of new cardinals on May 29. It includes 16 clergymen who may attend the future conclave, and four who are or will soon be 80 years old and therefore cannot become pope anymore.
Among the future cardinals there were:
- Archbishop Arthur Roche – Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.
- Archbishop Lazzaro You Heung-sik – Prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy
- Archbishop Fernando Vérgez Alzaga – chairman of the Pontifical Commission for the State and the City of the Vatican and President of the Governorate of the State and the City of the Vatican
- Archbishop Jean-Marc Aveline (France)
- Bishop Peter Ebere Okpaleke (Nigeria)
- Archbishop Leonardo Ulrich Steiner (Brazil)
- Archbishop Filipe Neri António Sebastião do Rosário Ferrão (India)
- Bishop Robert Walter McElroy (USA)
- Archbishop Virgilio Do Carmo Da Silva (East Timor)
- Bishop Oscar Cantoni (Italy)
- Archbishop Anthony Poola (India)
- Archbishop Paulo Cezar Costa (Brazil)
- Bishop Richard Kuuia Baawobr (Ghana)
- Archbishop William Goh Seng Chye Goh (Singapore)
- Archbishop Adalberto Martínez Flores (Paraguay)
- Bishop Giorgio Marengo (Mongolia)
- Archbishop Jorge Enrique Jiménez Carvajal (Colombia)
- abp Arrigo Miglio (Italy)
- Father Gianfranco Ghirlanda – Emeritus Professor of Canon Law at the Pontifical Gregorian University
- Fr. Fortunato Frezza – canon of St. Peter.
The website niedziela.pl reports that after the Saturday consistory, the youngest cardinal will be 48 years old. It will be Bishop Giorgio Maregno, an Italian missionary who works in Mongolia. For the first time in history, Mongolia, Paraguay, Singapore and East Timor will have their cardinals.
Polish names are missing from the list announced by the Pope in May. It does not include, among others Archbishop. Marek Jędraszewski from Krakow, which can be considered a surprise, because the 150-year-old tradition proves that the metropolitan of Krakow should become a cardinal. How was enumerated by Fr. Przemysław Śliwiński, Pope Francis has already appointed new cardinals eight times in his pontificate and he did it on average every 479 days. Thus, Archbishop Jędraszewski had a few chances, but so far he has not been included in the list of the chosen ones. You can learn more about it in the text: There is an earthquake in the Episcopate. The leading bishops will be gone.
The only Pole who received the title of cardinal from Pope Francis is Cardinal Konrad Krajewski.
One of the new cardinals may become the next pope. During the July meeting with Franciszek, journalists asked him what qualities his successor should have. The priest replied that the election of the next pope should be left to the Holy Spirit.
– I would never dare to think about it. The Holy Spirit will do it better than all of us can. The Church cannot be imagined without the Holy Spirit. It is he who makes a ruckus, as on the morning of Pentecost, awakens various charisms, but then makes this diversity harmonious. St. Basil said this about the Holy Spirit: He is harmony. Therefore, let us leave it to the Holy Spirit – said Pope Francis, whose words are quoted by the portal vaticannews.va.
The Consistory is a meeting of the College of Cardinals convened by the Pope, whose purpose is to consider matters related to the Church. In the past, it was divided into a secret consistory, held without the participation of outsiders, behind closed doors, and a public one, with the participation of other people. During the consistory, the pope announces the cardinal’s appointments and creates them by handing over to the clergy, inter alia, the cap and the cardinal’s ring.
Sources: niedziela.pl, vaticannews.va
Thank you for being with us. Subscribe to the Onet newsletter to receive the most valuable content from us.
Date Created: Today, 11:42