The Russian services are behind the cyberattack launched at night on the Montenegrin government institutions, reported the daily “Vijesti”, which cites information from the Montenegrin National Security Agency. The Minister of Public Administration of Montenegro, Marasz Dukaj, assured that the data of citizens and enterprises were not at risk.
The target of the cyberattack that began on Thursday night is the servers of government institutions – said Marasz Dukaj. He added that his ministry’s experts had taken remedial measures, and some government services had been temporarily disabled for security reasons.
“Citizens’ data Montenegro and enterprises are currently not endangered in any way “- wrote Dukaj on Twitter. He added that Montenegro, as a member FOR THISshe informed her allies about the attack.
The Montenegrin National Security Agency previously warned about the risk of intensified attacks, which could target the country’s “critical infrastructure”, including the energy network and the water supply system. The agency said the robbery methodology is typical of Russian services.
According to Reuters, one NATO official, quoted by Voice of America, said the alliance is aware of reports of cyber attacks in Montenegro and is ready to help if needed.
Vote of no confidence in the Montenegrin government
Due to the cyberattack, the Prime Minister of Montenegro, Dritan Abazović, called a meeting of the National Security Council on Friday evening.
– We are dealing with an attack which took place shortly after the vote of no confidence in the government was passed. When I talked about the destabilization of the country, it all starts to work, Abazović said.
A week ago, the Montenegrin parliament passed a vote of no confidence in the Abazovic government. The motion in this matter was submitted by 36 MPs as a protest against the signing by the cabinet of a controversial agreement regulating the state’s relations with the Serbian Orthodox Church.
Main photo source: Shutterstock