world

Italy is won by Italian brothers and Giorgia Meloni – exit polls

  • The center-right bloc won the parliamentary elections in Italy, receiving a total of around 41-45 percent. votes – according to the exit poll of RAI television, released on Sunday just after the closing of polling stations
  • Most votes, around 22-26 percent. The right-wing party, the Italians Brothers (Fratelli d’Italia) by Giorgia Meloni, won
  • The center-left, led by the Democratic Party, gained around 26-29 percent. votes
  • More important information can be found on the Onet homepage

Even before the elections, a right-wing coalition was formed, which, apart from the Italians, includes Matteo Salvini’s Northern League and Silvio Berlusconi’s Forza Italia. It also includes the Moderate Party. Four groups won a total of 41-45 percent. votes – according to the exit poll published by Rai News 24.

To form a government, 201 seats in the Chamber of Deputies and 101 in the Senate are required. According to the study, the coalition can count on much more, from 227 to 257 seats in the first chamber.

Exit poll shows that the Italian Brothers won 22-26 percent. votes. Pre-election polls gave them about 25 percent. support, and over 45 percent of all three coalition groups.

The center-left Democratic Party came second with 17-21 percent. The last place on the podium was taken by the anti-system Five Star Movement with a predicted result of 13.5-17.5 percent. endorsement.

According to the exit poll, the following places were taken by: Northern League: 8.5-12.5 percent; Forza Italia: 6-8%; Azione: 6.5-8.5 percent; Verdi + Sinistra: 3-5 percent; + Europe: 2.5-4.5 percent The other groups have no chance of exceeding the electoral threshold.

The complicated calculations required by the mixed law (37% of MPs are elected in majority voting in single-member constituencies, and the remaining 63% in proportional elections) may take many hours before we know the final composition of the new parliament.

The Italian brothers have their roots in the Italian extreme right. Founded by Meloni in 2012, the party is an ideological descendant of the Italian Social Movement founded after World War II by supporters of the overthrown dictator Benito Mussolini and still uses its symbol: the three-color flame.

In the past, Meloni described Mussolini as a “good politician” who “did everything for Italy.” Over time, the leader and her party began to cut themselves off from their post-fascist past, presenting themselves as conservatives.

The party won 4 percent in the 2018 elections. support and until recently it fluctuated in polls at the level of 5-10 percent. From 2020, it began to gradually gain popularity, especially in recent times, in opposition to Mario Draghi’s technical government, which proposed draconian economic reforms. Italy has been struggling with very serious financial problems since the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.

Meloni’s policy is still zero tolerance for illegal immigration, extreme social conservatism and Euroscepticism. He talks about the “gender ideology”, the fight against the “LGBT lobby” and the defense of the “natural family”. She has supported NATO and Ukraine since the Russian invasion in February, but in 2014 opposed sanctions against Russia after the annexation of Crimea. In the past, she urged Italy to abandon the euro.

Giorgia Meloni has been the president of the European Conservatives and Reformists (ECR), a pan-European party that includes PiS since 2020 and influential parties in Spain and Sweden.

The Meloni government will mean that Warsaw and Budapest will find a friend in Rome who will make it difficult for the European Commission to put pressure on them on issues such as media freedom and the independence of the judiciary.

There are many indications that the ECR will have a significant vote in assigning top positions after the upcoming European Parliament elections, including whether to give Ursula von der Leyen another term as President of the European Commission in 2024.

Related Articles

Back to top button