In 2019, Jan Błachowicz brutally knocked out Luke Rockhold, although the American strongly disregarded the Pole before the match. Rokchold returned to cages after a three-year break. And it was not a successful return. It is true that the fans were delighted with the bloody fight in the cage, but Paulo Costa finally won the points. All judges named the Brazilian as the winner, scoring 30-27.
Immediately after the fight, a lot of controversy was caused by the fact that Rockhold – during the fight on the ground floor – began to smear his blood on … the rival’s face. “It was disgusting”, “It’s one of the worst things I’ve ever seen at galas MMA“- this is only part of the avalanche of critical comments about the American.
– I didn’t register it in the process fighting. I felt something on my face, but I was worried about locking his arms so as not to be hit with an elbow in the face. That was what I was mainly worried about then – said Costa at the press conference.
Luke Rockhold, in turn, announced the end of his sports career after the fight. The 37-year-old was a champion in the past UFC. He has 16 wins and six defeats to his credit.
Tybura won at UFC 278
Marcin Tybura (23-7) defeated Aleksander Romanow (16-1) at UFC 278c. The Moldavian was a favorite in this fight. Before that, he had not lost a single duel. For the Pole, it was the tenth victory in the American federation.
UFC 278 results
Fight of the evening:
170lb: Leon Edwards def. Kamaru Usman via KO (high kick) at 4:04 of Round 5
- 185lb: Paulo Costa def. Luke Rockhold via unanimous decision (30-27 x 30)
- 135 lb: Merab Dvalishvili def. Jose Aldo via unanimous decision (2x 29-28, 30-27)
- 135 lb: Lucie Pudilova def. Yanan Wu via TKO (elbows on the ground) on Round 2, 4:04
- 205lb: Tyson Pedro def. Harry Hunsucker via KO (Left Hand Punch, Body Kick) Round 1, 1:05
- 265 lb: Marcin Tybura def. Alexandra Romanova by majority decision of judges (2x 29-28, 28-28)